Re: [CFD] disk format fixing

Hi

At Mon, 17 May 2010 02:25:40 +0900 (JST),
Ryusuke Konishi wrote:

> Hi,
> On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:42:31 +0900, Jiro SEKIBA wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to summarize the comments so far for disk fomat fix.
> > Please correct it if it's wrong or missing something.
> >

> > I've started this thread to fix disk format of nilfs2 at the point
> > everybody thinks it's ok, strip "experimental", encourage developing
> > user land tools and different implementation like on NetBSD.
> >
> > So far, we have been talking disk format from two aspects,
> > spuer block and rest of disk.  That's simply because most of user land tools
> > care only super block and rest of disk are much more controversial
> > than super block.  I'd like to summarize from those aspects.
> >
> > - Super block format
> >
> > Super blocks are frequently updated hotspot of nilfs2.  This is not good
> > for low-end flash device for wearing point of view.  To address this problem,
> > suggested introducing new mount option that makes less updates super blocks.
> >
> > At this point, super block format itself is unchanged, still oloder
> > nilfs implementation can find correct latest log in case of unclean mount.
> >
> > - Rest of disk
> >
> > * directory indexing
> > There is long term controversial discussion about directory indexing.
> > One is on memory indexing, the other is on disk indexing.  We have not
> > reached a resolution, but at least agreed "unchange for now".
> > So, disk format point of view, it'll be fixed for nilfs2.
> > However it is a subject to change for future nilfs2 or nilfs3 or so.
> > ~~
> >
> > There are more missing features that should be in a modern filesystem,
> > like xattr or posix acls, check ToDo list in following url:
> > http://www.nilfs.org/en/current_status.html
> >
> > You may not have to know disk format but if you feel functions which
> > are not in nilfs2, but mandatory to support, please state so.
> > Then we can start that the how those functions can be implmented in nilfs2
> > from disk format point of view.  Otherwise, any functions that requires disk
> > format change will be not supported in near future or forever "experimental".
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > regards,
> > --
> > Jiro SEKIBA <jir@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I believe part of the features like xattr (posix ACL) or atime can be
> implemented later without breaking disk format compatibility (for both
> forward and backward compatibility).
>
> This sort of extension should be allowed, I think, even after the
> "experimental" flag is dropped.  So, it doesn't mean fully-freezing
> the disk format.  Am I on the right track?

Sure, it is.  Here, I'd like to fix disk format.  Any functions
that does not break compatibility should be implemented any time.
However, if functionality requires disk format changes breaking
compatibility, it should be implemented before fixing disk format.

I think it is worth to list up functions before fixing disk format,
thinking about importance of the functionality, implementation,
and if it's important and required disk format change,
we have to decide breaking compatibility to implement those functions
before eliminating "Experimental".

thanks

regards,

Jiro SEKIBA <jir@xxxxxxxxx>