Re: Harddisk not going to standby when using NILFS

Hi,
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 15:08:03 +0100, Markus Lindgren wrote:
> I did some measurements to check how often my nilfs2 drives are in
> standby during one day (24h), during this time only a daily backup
> script has been accessing the disks (rsync from some other
> directories on /dev/sda1). For comparison I have also included an ext4
> partition on /dev/sdc. Note: there are no other partitions on these
> disks so there should basically be no activity. (I am running Ubuntu
> 9.10 so an occassional updatedb or similar can be expected, besides my
> daily backup script.)
>
> The nilfs2 settings used during measurement (where I am trying to
> force the drives to standby as much as possible, hence, it is not a
> typical use of nilfs2):
>   protection_period = 86400
>   nsegments_per_clean = 20
>   cleaning_interval = 86400
> (86400 seconds correspond to 24h)
>
> Results:
>  nilfs2  /dev/sdb spindown 34 %, count 18, max 2340 sec, spindown
> time accumulated 29430 sec
>  nilfs2 /dev/sdd spindown 47 %, count 26,  max 2370 sec, spindown
> time accumulated 41220 sec
>  ext4 /dev/sdc spindown 89 %, count 5, max 53580 sec, spindown time
> accumulated 77430 sec
>
>  Same measurement, but this time with no cleanerd running for sdb and
> sdd; still the result is in the same range.
>  nilfs2 /dev/sdb spindown 23 %, count 11, max 2340 sec, spindown time
> accumulated 20580 sec
>  nilfs2 /dev/sdd spindown 47 %, count 23, max 2340 sec, spindown time
> accumulated 41190 sec
>  ext4 /dev/sdc spindown 87 %, count 3, max 55200 sec, spindown time
> accumulated 75870 sec
> ['count' refers to the number of times the disk has been spun down,
> 'max' refers to the maximum time the disk has been in the spun down
> state]
>
> I was quite surprised to see that the nilfs2 disk where quite rarely
> in the spun down state, at least when compared to the ext4 disk,
> nilfs2 23-47% vs. ext3 ~87%. Also, stopping the cleanerd seamed to
> have little effect on disk spinning down.
> Could anyone explain what is being done to the nilfs disks during this
> time (or provide a reference)? I would have expected the disks to be
> spun down much more of the time, for example, on par with the ext4
> disk (~87% spun down). What can I do to reduce disk activity on the
> nilfs2 partitions further? For example, should I be using other settings?
>
> Markus

Sorry for the delay.

It's certainly curious.  I have no clue about what makes the difference.

Can you keep track of I/O activity with vmstat command?

 $ vmstat -p /dev/xxx 1

If reads or writes column regularly increases, something is triggering
I/O.  Otherwise, something needed by power management may be missing.

> ps. I have set the standby timeout on these disk using hdparm; hdparm
> -S 30 /dev/xx. hdparm -B did not work for me.
> In my measurements I am checking the disks state using 'hdparm -C',
> each disk sampled every 30 seconds. The measurements are done using a
> bash script.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi