Re: Harddisk not going to standby when using NILFS

I did some measurements to check how often my nilfs2 drives are in
standby during one day (24h), during this time only a daily backup
script has been accessing the disks (rsync from some other
directories on /dev/sda1). For comparison I have also included an ext4
partition on /dev/sdc. Note: there are no other partitions on these
disks so there should basically be no activity. (I am running Ubuntu
9.10 so an occassional updatedb or similar can be expected, besides my
daily backup script.)

The nilfs2 settings used during measurement (where I am trying to
force the drives to standby as much as possible, hence, it is not a
typical use of nilfs2):
  protection_period = 86400
  nsegments_per_clean = 20
  cleaning_interval = 86400
(86400 seconds correspond to 24h)

Results:
 nilfs2  /dev/sdb spindown 34 %, count 18, max 2340 sec, spindown
time accumulated 29430 sec
 nilfs2 /dev/sdd spindown 47 %, count 26,  max 2370 sec, spindown
time accumulated 41220 sec
 ext4 /dev/sdc spindown 89 %, count 5, max 53580 sec, spindown time
accumulated 77430 sec

 Same measurement, but this time with no cleanerd running for sdb and
sdd; still the result is in the same range.
 nilfs2 /dev/sdb spindown 23 %, count 11, max 2340 sec, spindown time
accumulated 20580 sec
 nilfs2 /dev/sdd spindown 47 %, count 23, max 2340 sec, spindown time
accumulated 41190 sec
 ext4 /dev/sdc spindown 87 %, count 3, max 55200 sec, spindown time
accumulated 75870 sec
['count' refers to the number of times the disk has been spun down,
'max' refers to the maximum time the disk has been in the spun down
state]

I was quite surprised to see that the nilfs2 disk where quite rarely
in the spun down state, at least when compared to the ext4 disk,
nilfs2 23-47% vs. ext3 ~87%. Also, stopping the cleanerd seamed to
have little effect on disk spinning down.
Could anyone explain what is being done to the nilfs disks during this
time (or provide a reference)? I would have expected the disks to be
spun down much more of the time, for example, on par with the ext4
disk (~87% spun down). What can I do to reduce disk activity on the
nilfs2 partitions further? For example, should I be using other settings?

Markus

ps. I have set the standby timeout on these disk using hdparm; hdparm
-S 30 /dev/xx. hdparm -B did not work for me.
In my measurements I am checking the disks state using 'hdparm -C',
each disk sampled every 30 seconds. The measurements are done using a
bash script.