Re: git regression failures with v6.2-rc NFS client

On 04.02.23 01:59, Trond Myklebust wrote:

>>> No! If it was impossible to hit this problem before the patch, then I might agree with you. However what it does is exposes a problem that has always existed, but was a lot less likely to happen timing wise when we were allowing glibc to suck in all 50000 or so directory entries in one gulp.
>>>
>>> IOW: this patch doesn’t cause the problem, it just makes it easier to hit when you are using a high performance setup like Chuck's. It was always easy to hit when you were using slower networking and/or smaller rsize values against a remote server with multiple clients creating + deleting files in the same NFS exported tmpfs directory.
>>
>> I can only repeat,
>> making something imperfect significantly worse is called "a regression".
>
> It is exposing a problem which was always there. [...]

But as you said: people are more likely to run into this problem now.
This in the end makes the kernel worse and thus afaics is a regression,
as Hugh mentioned.

There sadly is no quote from Linus in
https://docs.kernel.org/process/handling-regressions.html
that exactly matches and helps in this scenario, but a few that come
close; one of them:

```
Because the only thing that matters IS THE USER.

How hard is that to understand?

Anybody who uses "but it was buggy" as an argument is entirely missing
the point. As far as the USER was concerned, it wasn't buggy - it
worked for him/her.
```

Anyway, I guess we get close to the point where I simply explicitly
mention the issue in my weekly regression report, then Linus can speak
up himself if he wants. No hard feeling here, I think that's just my duty.

BTW, I CCed the regression list, as it should be in the loop for
regressions per
https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/reporting-regressions.html]

BTW, Benjamin, you earlier in this thread mentioned:

```
Thorsten's bot is just scraping your regression report email, I doubt
they've carefully read this thread.
```

Well, kinda. It's just not the bot that adds the regression to the
tracking, that's me doing it. But yes, I only skim threads and sometimes
simply when adding lack knowledge or details to decide if something
really is a regression or not. But often that sooner or later becomes
clear -- and then I'll remove an issue from the tracking, if it turns
out it isn't a regression.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.