Re: git regression failures with v6.2-rc NFS client

> On Feb 3, 2023, at 12:14 PM, Benjamin Coddington <bcodding@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 3 Feb 2023, at 10:35, Chuck Lever III wrote:

>>> I wasn't trying to fix it.  I was trying to fix your testing setup.

>>> Thorsten's bot is just scraping your regression report email, I doubt
>>> they've carefully read this thread.

>>> Then they would display this same behavior, and claiming it is a server bug
>>> might be defensible position.
>>
>> It's a server bug if we can cite something (perhaps less confusing
>> and more on-point than the POSIX specification) that says READDIR
>> cookies aren't supposed to behave this way. I bet the tmpfs folks
>> are going to want to see that kind of mandate before allowing a
>> code change.
>
> I don't have other stuff to cite for you.

It's not for me. tmpfs folks might need to understand what
a proposed fix will need to do.

> All I have is POSIX, and the many
> discussions we've had on the linux-nfs list in the past.

I'm simply encouraging you to assemble a few of the most
salient such discussions as you approach the tmpfs folks
to address this issue.

>> I'm wondering if you can trigger the same behavior when running
>> directly on tmpfs?
>
> Not in the same way, because libfs keeps a cursor in the open directory
> context, but knfsd has to do a seekdir between replies to READDIR.  So, if
> you do what the git test is doing locally, it works locally.
>
> The git test is doing:
>
> opendir
> while (getdents)
>    unlink(dentries)
> close dir
> rmdir <- ENOTEMPTY on NFS
>
> If you have NFS in the middle of that, knfsd tries to do a seekdir to a
> position (the cookie/offset sent in the /last/ READDIR results).  In that
> case, yes - tmpfs would display the same behavior, but locally to tmpfs that
> looks like:
>
> opendir
> getdents
> closedir
> unlink,unlink,unlink
> opendir
> seekdir to next batch
> getdents <- no dentries (they all shifted positions)
> rmdir <- ENOTEMPTY
>
> The other way to think about this is that on a local system, there's state
> saved in the open dir file structure between calls to getdents().  With
> knfsd in the middle, you lose that state when you close the directory and
> have to do seekdir instead, which means you're not guaranteed to be in the
> same place in the directory stream.

Naive suggestion: Would another option be to add server
support for the directory verifier?

>>> The reality as I understand it is that if the server is going to change the
>>> cookie or offset of the dentries in between calls to READDIR, you're never
>>> going to reliably be able to list the directory completely.  Or maybe we
>>> can, but at least I can't think of any way it can be done.
>>>
>>> You can ask Trond/Anna to revert this, but that's only going to fix your
>>> test setup.  The behavior you're claiming is a regression is still there -
>>> just at a later offset.
>>
>> No-one is complaining about the existing situation, which
>> suggests this is currently only a latent bug, and harmless in
>> practice. This is a regression because your optimization exposes
>> the misbehavior to more common workloads.
>
> Its not a latent bug - the incorrect readdir behavior of tmpfs has been
> analyzed and discussed on this list, have a look.

Well, let's not argue semantics. The optimization exposes
this (previously known) bug to a wider set of workloads.

>> Even if this is a server bug, the guidelines about not
>> introducing behavior regressions mean we have to stick with
>> the current client side behavior until the server side part
>> of the issue has been corrected.
>>

>>> Or we can modify the server to make tmpfs and friends generate stable
>>> cookies/offsets.
>>>
>>> Or we can patch git so that it doesn't assume it can walk a directory
>>> completely while simultaneously modifying it.
>>
>> I'm guessing that is something that other workloads might
>> do, so fixing git is not going to solve the issue. And also,
>> the test works fine on other filesystem types, so it's not
>> git that is the problem.
>>

>>> What do you think?
>>
>> IMO, since the situation is not easy or not possible to fix,
>> you should revert 85aa8ddc3818 for v6.2 and work on fixing
>> tmpfs first.
>>
>> It's going to have to be a backportable fix because your
>> optimization will break with any Linux server exporting an
>> unfixed tmpfs.
>
> Exports of tmpfs on linux are already broken and seem to always have been.

Please, open some bugs that document it. Otherwise this stuff
will never get addressed. Can't fix what we don't know about.

I'm not claiming tmpfs is perfect. But the optimization seems
to make things worse for more workloads. That's always been a
textbook definition of regression, and a non-starter for
upstream.

> I spent a great deal of time making points about it and arguing that the
> client should try to work around them, and ultimately was told exactly this:
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nfs/a9411640329ed06dd7306bbdbdf251097c5e3411.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Ah, well "client should work around them" is going to be a
losing argument every time.

> The optimization you'd like to revert fixes a performance regression on
> workloads across exports of all filesystems.  This is a fix we've had many
> folks asking for repeatedly.

Does the community agree that tmpfs has never been a first-tier
filesystem for exporting? That's news to me. I don't recall us
deprecating support for tmpfs.

If an optimization broke ext4, xfs, or btrfs, it would be
reverted until the situation was properly addressed. I don't
see why the situation is different for tmpfs just because it
has more bugs.

> I hope the maintainers decide not to revert
> it, and that we can also find a way to make readdir work reliably on tmpfs.

IMO the guidelines go the other way: readdir on tmpfs needs to
be addressed first. Reverting is a last resort, but I don't see
a fix coming before v6.2. Am I wrong?

What I fear will happen is that the optimization will go in, and
then nobody will address (or even document) the tmpfs problem,
making it unusable. That would be unfortunate and wrong.

Please look at tmpfs and see how difficult it will be to address
the cookie problem properly.

--
Chuck Lever