Re: Regression in xfstests on tmpfs-backed NFS exports

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022, Mark Hemment wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 at 01:19, Hugh Dickins <hughd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > What could be going wrong there?  I've thought of two possibilities.
> > A minor, hopefully easily fixed, issue would be if fs/nfsd has
> > trouble with seeing the same page twice in a row: since tmpfs is
> > now using the ZERO_PAGE(0) for all pages of a hole, and I think I
> > caught sight of code which looks to see if the latest page is the
> > same as the one before.  It's easy to imagine that might go wrong.
>
> When I worked at Veritas, data corruption over NFS was hit when
> sending the same page in succession.  This was triggered via VxFS's
> shared page cache, after a file had been dedup'ed.
> I can't remember all the details (~15yrs ago), but the core issue was
> skb_can_coalesce() returning a false-positive for the 'same page' case
> (no check for crossing a page boundary).

Very useful input: thank you Mark.

That tells me that, even if we spot a "bug" in fs/nfsd, there could
be various other places which get confused if given the ZERO_PAGE(0)
twice in a row.  I won't be able to find them all, I cannot go on
risking that.

At first I thought of using ZERO_PAGE(0) for even pgoffs, alternating
with a tmpfs-specific zeroed page for odd pgoffs.  But I was forgetting
that copying ZERO_PAGE(0) is itself just a workaround to avoid the 28%
slower iov_iter_zero().

I think I have a reasonable hybrid: will reply to Chuck now with that.

Hugh
I've rewr