RE: client caching and locks

> I could live with that.
>
> Though the other reason I cut it was because I think it needs updates
> too and I wasn't sure exactly how to handle them.
>
> The v4 case is more important and should probably be dealt with first.
> I think the answer there is just "don't mount /var over NFSv4", period.
>
> And maybe we should be more specific: the problem is with /var/lib/nfs,
> not all of /var.

I see it now. Yeah, I agree. If we keep that description, we need to consider the v4 case ...

After reviewing what will happen if we delete this description for /var,
I've changed my mind. I believe it won't cause a serious problem.
I have concluded that it is no longer needed for the following reasons:

 1. Users who build a new system with NFSv2 or v3 are not so many nowadays.
 2. Even with the nolock option, mounting /var is risky. For example,
   if /var is mounted when the system is running, the existing processes would
   be prevented from accessing the files they require.

In other words, I agree with your idea. Your first patch looks good to me.
I think we can remove the part "using nolock to mount /var with v2/v3" from the nfs man page.

I apologize for taking your time.

Yuki Inoguchi