Re: Improving NFS re-export

On Thu, 9 Dec 2021 at 22:03, Richard Weinberger <richard@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I see. That way we could get rid of file handle wrapping but loose the
> NFS clinet inode cache on the re-exporting server, I think.

As an avid user of re-exporting over the WAN, we do like to be able to
selectively cache as much of the metadata lookups as possible
(actimeo=3600, vfs_cache_pressure=1).

I'm not sure if losing the re-export server's client inode cache would
effect that ability?

And on the subject of the "proxy" server and a server per export; if
like us, you have 30 servers or mountpoints to re-export but you might
only actively use 5-10 of those at any one time, so it is more
resource efficient (CPU, RAM, fscache storage) to use a single
re-export server for more than one mountpoint re-export. But in the
proxy case, maybe the same thing could be achieved with a
containerised knfsd with all the proxy servers running on the same
server?

I'm not sure if you could have shared storage and have multiple
fs-cache/cachefilesd in containers though.

Either way, I'm interested to see what you come up with. Always happy
to test new variations on re-exporting.

Daire