Re: Improving NFS re-export

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2021 at 10:05:48PM +0100, Richard Weinberger wrote:
>> nfs_encode_fh() in fs/nfs/export.c checks for IS_AUTOMOUNT(inode), if this is
>> the case
>> it refuses to create a new file handle.
>> So while accessing /files/disk2 directly on the re-exporting server triggers an
>> automount,
>> accessing via nfsd the export function of the client side gives up.
>>
>> AFAIU the suggested proxy-only-mode[1] will not address this problem, right?
>
> That's how I was thinking of addressing the problem, actually.  I
> haven't figured out how to make that proxy-only mode work, though.
>
>> One workaround is manually adding an export for each volume on the re-exporting
>> server.
>> This kinda works but is tedious and error prone.
>>
>> I have a crazy idea how to automate this:
>> Since nfs_encode_fh() in the NFS client side of the re-exporting server can
>> detect
>> crossing mounts, we could install a new export on the sever side as soon the
>> IS_AUTOMOUNT(inode) case arises. We could even use the same fsid.
>> What do you think?
>
> Something like that might work.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by the same fsid.  I think you'd need to make
> up a new fsid each time you encounter a new filesystem.  And you'd also
> want to persist it on disk if you want this to keep working across
> reboots of the proxy.

By same fsid I meant reusing the fsid from the backend server.

> I think you could patch rpc.mountd to do that.

Okay, I need to dig into this.

>> Another obstacle is file handle wrapping.
>> When re-exporting, the NFS client side adds inode and file information to each
>> file handle,
>> the server side also adds information. In my test setup this enlarges a 16 bytes
>> file handle
>> to 40 bytes.
>> The proxy-only-mode won't help us either here.
>
> Part of my motivation for a proxy-only mode was to remove that wrapping.
>
> Since you're dedicating the host to reexporting one single backend
> server, in theory you don't need any of the information in the wrapper.
> When you (the proxy) get a filehandle from a client, you know which
> server that filehandle originally came from, so you can go ask that
> server for whatever you need to know about the filehandle (like an
> fsid).

I see. That way we could get rid of file handle wrapping but loose the
NFS clinet inode cache on the re-exporting server, I think.

>> Did you consider using the opaque file handle from the server as
>> lookup key in a (persisted) data structure?
>
> A little, but I don't think it works.
>
> If you do this, you do need to require that you only export one server.
> Otherwise there may be collisions (two different servers could return
> filehandles that happen to have the same value).
>
> The database would store every filehandle the client has ever seen.
> That could be a lot.  It may also include filehandles for since-deleted
> files.  The only way to prune such entries would be to try using them
> and see if the server gives you STALE errors.

True. I didn't think about the pruning case.

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply and your valuable input.
//richard