Re: knfsd server returns writeverf of all 0 bits (but was not rebooted)

Hi Rick-

> On Dec 9, 2021, at 6:15 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> When testing against the knfsd in a Linux 5.15.1 kernel, I received a
> write reply with FILE_SYNC and a writeverf of all 0 bytes.
> (Previous write verifiers were not all 0 bytes.)
>
> The server seemed to be functioning normally and had not rebooted.
>
> Is this intended behaviour?
>
> Normally I would not expect the writeverf in a Write operation reply
> to change unless the server had rebooted, but I can see there might
> be circumstances where the knfsd server wants all non-FILE_SYNC
> writes to be redone by the client and would choose to change the
> writeverf.
> However, changing it to all 0 bytes seems particularly odd?

I don't immediately see a code path for WRITE or COMMIT that would
set the verifier to zeroes. When Linux NFSD resets its write verifier,
it sets it to the current time.

Do you have a reproducer you can share?

--
Chuck Lever