Re: cto changes for v4 atomic open

On Wed, 2021-08-04 at 10:57 +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2021, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> >
> > No. What you propose is to optimise for a fringe case, which we
> > cannot
> > guarantee will work anyway. I'd much rather optimise for the common
> > case, which is the only case with predictable semantics.
> >

> "predictable"??
>
> As I understand it (I haven't examined the code) the current
> semantics
> includes:
>  If a file is open for read, some other client changed the file, and
> the
>   file is then opened, then the second open might see new data, or
> might
>   see old data, depending on whether the requested data is still in
>   cache or not.
>
> I find this to be less predictable than the easy-to-understand
> semantics
> that Bruce has quoted:
>   - revalidate on every open, flush on every close
>
> I'm suggesting we optimize for fringe cases, I'm suggesting we
> provide
> semantics that are simple, documentated, and predictable.

"Predictable" how?

This is cached I/O. By definition, it is allowed to do things like
readahead, writeback caching, metadata caching. What you're proposing
is to optimise for a case that breaks all of the above. What's the
point? We might just as well throw in the towel and just make uncached
I/O and 'noac' mounts the default.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace