Re: Adventures in NFS re-exporting

----- On 16 Nov, 2020, at 15:53, bfields bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 12:57:24PM +0000, Daire Byrne wrote:
>> Now if anyone has any ideas why all the read calls to the originating
>> server are limited to a maximum of 128k (with rsize=1M) when coming
>> via the re-export server's nfsd threads, I see that as the next
>> biggest performance issue. Reading directly on the re-export server
>> with a userspace process issues 1MB reads as expected. It doesn't
>> happen for writes (wsize=1MB all the way through) but I'm not sure if
>> that has more to do with async and write back caching helping to build
>> up the size before commit?
>
> I'm not sure where to start with this one....
>
> Is this behavior independent of protocol version and backend server?

It seems to the case for all combinations of backend versions and re-export versions.

But it does look like it is related to readahead somehow. The default for a client mount is 128k ....

I just increased it to 1024 on the client mount of the originating server on the re-export server and now it's doing the expected 1MB (rsize) read requests back to onprem from the clients all the way through. i.e.

echo 1024 > /sys/class/bdi/0:52/read_ahead_kb

So, there is a difference in behaviour when reading from the client mount with user space processes or the knfsd threads on the re-export server.

Daire