Re: Adventures in NFS re-exporting

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 12:57:24PM +0000, Daire Byrne wrote:
> Now if anyone has any ideas why all the read calls to the originating
> server are limited to a maximum of 128k (with rsize=1M) when coming
> via the re-export server's nfsd threads, I see that as the next
> biggest performance issue. Reading directly on the re-export server
> with a userspace process issues 1MB reads as expected. It doesn't
> happen for writes (wsize=1MB all the way through) but I'm not sure if
> that has more to do with async and write back caching helping to build
> up the size before commit?

I'm not sure where to start with this one....

Is this behavior independent of protocol version and backend server?

> I figure the other remaining items on my (wish) list are probably more
> in the "won't fix" or "can't fix" category (except maybe the NFSv4.0
> input/output errors?).

Well, sounds like you've found a case where this feature's actually
useful.  We should make sure that's documented.

And I think it's also worth some effort to document and triage the list
of remaining issues.

--b.