Re: GSS unwrapping breaks the DRC

Hi Bruce-

> On Apr 23, 2020, at 3:34 PM, Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 05:48:35PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
>> I've hit a snag here.
>>
>> I reverted 241b1f419f0e on my server, and all tests completed
>> successfully.
>>
>> I reverted 241b1f419f0e on my client, and now krb5p is failing. Using
>> xdr_buf_trim does the right thing on the server, but on the client it
>> has exposed a latent bug in gss_unwrap_resp_priv() (ie, the bug does
>> not appear to be harmful until 241b1f419f0e has been reverted).
>>
>> The calculation of au_ralign in that function is wrong, and that forces
>> rpc_prepare_reply_pages to allocate a zero-length tail. xdr_buf_trim()
>> then lops off the end of each subsequent clear-text RPC message, and
>> eventually a short READ results in test failures.
>>
>> After experimenting with this for a day, I don't see any way for
>> gss_unwrap_resp_priv() to estimate au_ralign based on what gss_unwrap()
>> has done to the xdr_buf. The kerberos_v1 unwrap method does not appear
>> to have any trailing checksum, for example, but v2 does.
>>
>> The best approach for now seems to be to have the pseudoflavor-specific
>> unwrap methods return the correct ralign value. A straightforward way
>> to do this would be to add a *int parameter to ->gss_unwrap that would
>> be set to the proper value; or hide that value somewhere in the xdr_buf.
>>
>> Any other thoughts or random bits of inspiration?
>
> No.  Among other things, a quick skim wasn't enough to remind me what
> au_ralign is and why we have both that and au_rslack....  Sorry!  I've
> got not much to offer but sympathy.

I added au_ralign last year to deal with where the beginning of the
encapsulated upper layer message lands. So:

au_verfsize - the size of the RPC header's verifier field
au_ralign - the offset of the start of the upper layer results
au_rslack - the total size of the RPC header and results

Note that the krb5_v2 unwrapper deals with this already. It's got
headskip and tailskip. The v1 unwrapper doesn't need to worry about
trailing GSS data.

The purpose of this is to ensure that the upper layer's data payload
(ie, what is supposed to land in the buf->pages most of the time)
is not going to need to be re-aligned via a memcpy. au_ralign is
used to this effect in rpc_prepare_reply_pages when setting up
rq_rcv_buf.

--
Chuck Lever