Re: rsize,wsize=1M causes severe lags in 10/100 Mbps

On Thu, 2019-09-19 at 16:19 -0500, Daniel Forrest wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 08:40:41PM +0000, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> > > The problem isn't timeo at all.
> > > If I understand it correctly, when I try to launch firefox over
> > > nfsroot,
> > > NFS will wait until it fills 1M before "replying" to the
> > > application.
> > > Thus the applications will launch a lot slower, as they get
> > > "disk
> > > feedback" in larger chunks and not "snappy".
> > >
> > > In numbers:
> > > timeo=600,rsize=1M => firefox opens in 30 secs
> > > timeo=600,rsize=32k => firefox opens in 20 secs
> > >

> > That's a different problem, and is most likely due to readahead
> > causing
> > your client to read more data than it needs to. It is also true
> > that
> > the maximum readahead size is proportional to the rsize and that
> > maybe
> > it shouldn't be.
> > However the VM layer is supposed to ensure that the kernel doesn't
> > try
> > to read ahead more than necessary. It is bounded by the maximum we
> > set
> > in the NFS layer, but it isn't supposed to hit that maximum unless
> > the
> > readahead heuristics show that the application may need it.
> >
> > --
> > Trond Myklebust
> > Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace
> > trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> What may be happening here is something I have noticed with glibc.
>
> - statfs reports the rsize/wsize as the block size of the filesystem.
>
> - glibc uses the block size as the default buffer size for
> fread/fwrite.
>
> If an application is using fread/fwrite on an NFS mounted file with
> an
> rsize/wsize of 1M it will try to fill a 1MB buffer.
>
> I have often changed mounts to use rsize/wsize=64K to alleviate this.

That sounds like an abuse of the filesystem block size. There is
nothing in the POSIX definition of either fread() or fwrite() that
requires glibc to do this:
https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/fread.html
https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/fwrite.html