Re: rsize,wsize=1M causes severe lags in 10/100 Mbps, what sets those defaults?

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 03:44, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, in any recent distribution that I tried, the default NFS wsize/rsize
> was 1 MB.
>
> On 10/100 Mbps networks, this causes severe lags, timeouts, and dmesg
> fills with messages like:
>
>  > [  316.404250] nfs: server 192.168.1.112 not responding, still trying
>  > [  316.759512] nfs: server 192.168.1.112 OK
>
> Forcing wsize/rsize to 32K makes all the problems disappear and NFS
> access more snappy, without sacrificing any speed at least up to gigabit
> networks that I tested with.
>
> I would like to request that the defaults be changed to 32K.
> But I didn't find out where these defaults come from, where to file the
> issue and my test case / benchmarks to support it.
>
> I've initially reported it at the klibc nfsmount program that I was
> using, but this is just using the NFS defaults, which are the ones that
> should be amended. So initial test case / benchmarks there:
> https://lists.zytor.com/archives/klibc/2019-September/004234.html
>
> Please Cc me as I'm not in the list.

The default client behaviour is just to go with whatever recommended
value the server specifies. You can change that value yourself on the
knfsd server by editing the pseudo-file in
/proc/fs/nfsd/max_block_size.

Cheers
   Trond