Re: directory delegations

On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 12:21:49PM -0400, Bradley C. Kuszmaul wrote:
> Hi, I'm the architect for Oracle's File Storage Service.   FSS is
> basically a big scalable NFS server that runs in Oracle's cloud.
>
> Our metadata operations have higher latency than a vanilla NFS
> server (e.g., a Linux NFS server serving a XFS stored on a block
> device), and we suspect that directory delegations would make a big
> performance improvement.
>
> I understand, however, that essentially no one implements directory
> delegations.
>
> Can anyone fill me in on the current thinking of the future of
> support for directory delegations in the Linux NFS client?

Maybe somebody else will speak up, but I don't know of any effort to
implement directory delegations.

What metadata operations specifically are you worried about?  The
directory delegations that are specified in RFC 5661 are read-only.
Which might explain some of the lack of interest.

But there may be other steps that we could take to improve matters.

--b.