Re: [bug report] task hang while testing xfstests generic/323

On Mon, 2019-03-11 at 11:14 -0400, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:12 AM Trond Myklebust
> <trondmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2019-03-11 at 14:30 +0000, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > > Hi Olga,

> > This should result in exactly 1 bump of the stateid seqid.

> > > Is this still true with the current linux-next? I would expect
> > > this
> > > patch
> > > http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=trondmy/linux-nfs.git;a=commitdiff;h=3453d5708b33efe76f40eca1c0ed60923094b971
> > > to change the Linux client behaviour in the above regard.
> > >

> > Note also that what you describe would appear to indicate a serious
> > server bug. If the client is reusing a slot+seqid, then the correct
> > server behaviour is to either return one of the errors
> > NFS4ERR_DELAY,
> > NFS4ERR_SEQ_FALSE_RETRY, NFS4ERR_RETRY_UNCACHED_REP,
> > NFS4ERR_SEQ_MISORDERED, or else it must replay the exact same reply
> > that it had cached for the original request.
> >
> > It is protocol violation for the server to execute new requests on
> > slot+seqid combination that has already been used. For that reason,
> > it
> > is also impossible for a replay to cause further state changes on
> > the
> > server; a replay means that the server belts out the exact same
> > reply
> > that was attempted sent earlier with no changes (with stateids that
> > match bit for bit what would have been sent earlier).
> >

> But it is the same requests because all of them are opens on the same
> file same everything.

That is irrelevant. The whole point of the session slot mechanism is to
provide reliable only once semantics as defined in section 2.10.6 of
RFC5661: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5661#section-2.10.6

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace