Re: NFS client behavior on WRITE_DELEGATION

On 12/6/18 8:40 PM, Soumya Koduri wrote:
Hi Anna,

Thanks a lot for the response. To understand client behavior under various scenarios, I started with a simple "C" program which does below operations in a loop on a nfsv4.1 mount point-

while(..)
{
OPEN,
LOCK,
READ/WRITE,
UNLCK,
CLOSE
}

While examining the pkt traces, I observed that even when granted WRITE_DELEGATION, there are WRITEs (though asynchronous & followed by COMMIT) sent to the server for each of those iterations. So could it be because of the kernel flushing out the data?

Also I noticed that the behavior of WRITE_DELEGATION granted for OPEN(O_RDWR) is different when compared to the one granted to OPEN(O_WRONLY)

1) When the file is opened with OPEN4_SHARE_ACCESS_WRITE and a OPEN_DELEGATE_WRITE delegation is granted, subsequent OPENs are avoided and not sent to the server as expected, whereas If the file is opened with OPEN4_SHARE_ACCESS_BOTH and granted OPEN_DELEGATE_WRITE, the next open is sent to server resulting in server recalling the delegation it granted to the same client.

2) And to that recall request, client responded back with EBADHANDLE error.

This doesn't seem right. Could you please confirm.

(Maybe the server also can avoid conflicting the OPENfrom the same client to which it granted the delegation)

Apologies. This seem to have resulted from a server-side issue. On further debugging, I found that server rejected READ op with ERR_BAD_STATEID if there is WRITE_delegation granted to that file. This may have led nfs client to discard the delegation granted and send subsequent OPEN to server.

I think the server should allow READs if the access is OPEN4_SHARE_ACCESS_BOTH and its the same client which holds the write delegation. Will send out a patch to fix it.

So the only question I have for now is if/how client can save WRITEs from being sent to the server while holding write delegation. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Soumya

Thanks,
Soumya