Re: /etc/mtab read ~900 times by rpc.mountd

On 07/10/2017 02:17 AM, NeilBrown wrote:
> Another is to move the code around.  In your case there are really just
> 3 exports to each of 300+ clients (I assume "client.cs.uchicago.edu" in
> the combined exports file is really different in different files).
> So any one client only needs to consider 3 exports, not 300.
This assumption is correct. We have ~300 clients and growing (slowly).

> Could you test with this patch applied and see what
> difference it makes?
After being confused by conflicting test results and determining that the service nfs-server takes a bit longer to start than 'systemctl' will let you believe, I believe Niel's patch works.

The new cache.c file I am using to test with: http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~kauffman/nfs-kernel-server/test_with_patch/cache.c
  It also contains the official patch from this thread: http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfs&m=138900709311582&w=2

Building the new deb packages: http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~kauffman/nfs-kernel-server/test_with_patch/build_deb.txt

Install nfs-kernel-server and nfs-common debs on server and nfs-common on client.

I reboot everything: client and server

Run ssh for loop (no stracing) with the result that every user was able to ssh in under a second (I consider this to be a success).
  http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~kauffman/nfs-kernel-server/test_with_patch/ssh_result_no-strace.txt

I then used a larger sample size of users (~/f) and got a similar result.

Now lets strace rpc.mountd while sshing with one user:

$ time ssh -o BatchMode=yes $CLIENTHOSTNAME -l user_not_in_list_f
Permission denied (publickey,password).

real	0m0.352s
user	0m0.020s
sys	0m0.012s

The resulting strace seems entirely reasonable: http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~kauffman/nfs-kernel-server/test_with_patch/ssh_one_user_strace.txt

$ for user in $(cat ~/users | grep -E "^g*"); do time ssh -o BatchMode=yes $CLIENTHOSTNAME -l $user; done
  The first few dozen users whos usernames happen to start with 'g':
    http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~kauffman/nfs-kernel-server/test_with_patch/ssh_multiple_user_strace.txt

--
Phil Kauffman
Systems Admin