Re: /etc/mtab read ~900 times by rpc.mountd

I can imagine /etc/mtab being read once for every line in /etc/exports,
but unless your /etc/exports is very big, I can't easily see why it
would be read 900 times.
Maybe lots of different mount points are being accessed by something and
each one triggers a few reads...

Can you show your /etc/exports file?

These get generated via puppet and dropped into /etc/exports.d/

Any given host will have 3 files associated with it:

root@charlie-storage1:~# cat /etc/exports.d/client1.cs.uchicago.edu.charliestorage1_fsidroot.charliestorage1_fsidroot.exports /tank client1.cs.uchicago.edu(fsid=0,rw,async,no_subtree_check,insecure,crossmnt) root@charlie-storage1:~# cat /etc/exports.d/client1.cs.uchicago.edu.charliestorage1_homes.charliestorage1_homes.exports /tank/homes client1.cs.uchicago.edu(rw,async,no_subtree_check,insecure,crossmnt) root@charlie-storage1:~# cat /etc/exports.d/client1.cs.uchicago.edu.charliestorage1_stage.charliestorage1_stage.exports /tank/stage client1.cs.uchicago.edu(rw,async,no_subtree_check,insecure,crossmnt)

Here we can see that there are 960 files in /etc/exports.d
root@storage1:~# find /etc/exports.d/ -type f | wc
960 960 88701

You probably don't want or need this but here is a link to all of my /etc/exports.d/ combined into one file which I redacted the hostnames: http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~kauffman/nfs-kernel-server/all_etc_exports.d_in_one_file.txt

I don't recommend this approach.  If you have data, just provide it.  If
it is really really big, provide a link.
You have my attention now.  You might not get it again when you send the
strace.  You might have wasted your opportunity.
Yes - please provide the strace showing lots of reads through
/etc/mtab.  Don't provide it privately to me.  Either post it to the
list, or post a link to it.

Thanks for the advice.

Here is a link to a best effort redacted strace: http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~kauffman/nfs-kernel-server/redacted_strace.txt

I would prefer to keep user name leakage to a minimum.

Cheers,

Phil

--
Phil Kauffman