Re: Venue change for bake-a-thon June 2017

On 05/10/2017 11:31 AM, Bill Baker wrote:
> Hi, Steve,
>
> thanks for your feedback, comments at the bottom.
>
> On 05/10/17 10:02, Steve Dickson wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 04/20/2017 07:42 AM, Bill Baker wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> After some discussion with Andy Adamson and others, I've
>>> decided to offer the the Agnews auditorium on Oracle's
>>> Santa Clara campus for this year's June bake-a-thon.  This
>>> is the same facility used to host connectathon the last several
>>> years.
>>>
>>> I've reserved the auditorium for the week of June 26th.
>>>
>>> Much as I like downtown Ann Arbor, the auditorium offers
>>> more than ample space in a comfortable facility.  We would
>>> like to continue the momentum of testing NFSoRDMA and the
>>> extra equipment is not very practical at the workantile.
>>>
>>> The usual suspects will be running the event:
>>>
>>> Tina.Hartshorn@xxxxxxxxxx - registration, facilities
>>> Chad.Wasinger@xxxxxxxxxx - network setup
>>>
>>> If you have concerns with this plan, please voice them
>>> here on-list, or to me privately.  Last thing I would want
>>> to do is discourage participation via this venue change.
>>>
>>> Feel free to forward this to other interested parties.
>> Unfortunately,  the people on the Red Hat team is having
>> a very hard time finding reasonable airfares to the
>> West coast. Instead of $300 or $400 its well over
>> $1000 which is causing push back by our management.
>>
>> I, personally, have been looking for the last a couple
>> weeks, hoping the the prices would come down but they
>> have not... They have not gone up, but they have
>> not come down.
>>
>> So at this point it looks like the Red Hat team
>> will not be attend this BAT, which is disappointing
>> because the timing actually worked out well with our
>> internal scheduling.
>>
>> With that said, I had every intention after this BAT
>> of announcing the date Fall BAT for the last week
>> in Sept (25th to 29th). Hopefully at this point
>> airfares will be more reasonable so it will be
>> well attended. I will make a more official
>> announcement later on...
>

> I understand completely.
thanks!

> Perhaps it is time to drop back to just 2 events per year,
> connectathon and Fall BAT hosted by RedHat.
6 months apart... one on one coast and one one the
other... I know that would work for us.

I must admit I would miss Ann Arbor... It is
a great little city but unfortunately the
facilities are little rough... Too bad we
can not get back into the University.

> Would anyone be opposed to that?  Time to speak up is now.
> I'm on the hook for the auditorium.
Again, we are all for it.

> Sorry for all the re-planning, we should have discussed this
> during connectathon.
That would mean we would have our act together and that
will never happen!! 8-)

steved.