Re: RFC rpc.gssd enhancement

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Lukas Hejtmanek <xhejtman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> would it be acceptable to add an option for rpc.gssd to use host keytab if
> user's kerberos ticket is not available?
>
> Consider the following scenario:
> 1) machine has NFS mounted /home using kerberos authentication
> 2) user logs in, sshd creates krb ticket ($HOME/.k5login needs to be world
> readable to allow kerberized access, e.g., using kerberos ticket)
> 3) user stays logged in and krb ticket expires
> 4) kinit to renew ticket produces strange error because $HOME is not
> accessible and a new ticket is not created.

Why is kinit accessing something from $HOME. What distro are you using
to run kinit (or any other info to explain use of $HOME)?

I just ran kinit on RHEL7.2 and it nowhere does it read $HOME.

What I read here is that user has expired creds and is trying to
access a kerberized NFS file. The operation MUST fail, there is no way
around it. There shouldn't be any fixes that would allow for a user to
access files without credentials.

So in the environment where for whatever reason your kinit requires
read of $HOME, you must make sure credentials are refreshed before
they expire. Steve has mentioned that sssd takes on this
responsibility.