Re: out of order v3 write replies and cache invalidation

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Trond Myklebust
<trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 1:40 PM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If we assume no other writers until we close, couldn't you on close wait
>> for all writes, send a final getattr for change attribute, and trust
>> that?  If the extra getattr's too much, then you'd need some algorithm
>> like the above to determine which change attribute is the last.  Or
>> implement
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion2-41#section-12.2.3
>> on client and server and just track the maximum returned value when the
>> server returns something other than NFS4_CHANGE_TYPE_IS_UNDEFINED.
>>

> The correct tool to use for resolving these caching issues is
> ultimately a write delegation.
>
> You can also eliminate a lot of invalidations if you know that the
> server implements change_attr_type ==
> NFS4_CHANGE_TYPE_IS_VERSION_COUNTER or
> NFS4_CHANGE_TYPE_IS_VERSION_COUNTER_NOPNFS, since that allows you to
> predict what the attribute should be after a change.

Thanks for all the info. But let me highlight that I was asking about
v3. I don't see that the code has issues with cache invalidation for
nfsv4 when receiving out-of-order RPCs.

I am not sure if it's worth implementing something that Bruce
suggests. I just wanted to make sure that what i'm seeing is
"expected" behavior (caz it's v3) and not a bug.