Re: CAP(abilities) and NFS mounted storage

Quoting Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> >> Thanks. I feared this answer. But i understand that the NFS-server cant
> >> know if the process on the NFS-client has CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH
> >> capabilities set.
> >> Would setfsuid() help anything in this case? Or is it just a big no-go?
>
> setfsuid() would allow you to set a user up with root privileges on
> the fs. That's better than giving overall root privileges, but is
> still a risk, since a user could use it to overwrite /etc/passwd etc.

I'm not going to run anything i'm trying in a production environment yet. ;)

But, should setfsuid() work with NFS-mounted filesystems too?
'Cause i tried, but it didn't seem to change much (w/ caps set).
Might be i need more capabilities for that to work. Hmm.

> > Are you looking for something like labeled NFS that supports
> > capabilities? I think Redhat7 has SElinux labeled NFS support.
>
> The labeled NFS implementation is client enforced and confers no extra
> privileges on the server. Plus (please correct me if I'm wrong), I
> believe NetApp has yet to announce support for labeled NFS in OnTAP.

Yes. This is not really an option. ;)

Regards,
-Sndr.