Re: PROBLEM: nfs I/O errors with sqlite applications

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:48:56PM -0400, Nick Bowler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem where, eventually, the nfs-mounted home directory
> on one of my machines starts failing in a kind of weird way.  The issue
> appears to affect only sqlite; I have two applications that I know of
> which use it:
>
>   - Firefox, where the symptom is that the browser just hangs randomly,
>   - gmpc, which crashes immediately on startup with I/O error.
>
> Once the issue occurs these applications remain permanently broken.
> Since the latter is easier to test, I can run it in strace, and the
> failing syscall seems to be:
>
>   fcntl(7, F_SETLK, {type=F_RDLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=1073741824, len=1}) = -1 EIO (Input/output error)
>
> When the issue occurs, the client dmesg log is full of messages of the form:
>
>   [3441972.381211] NFS: v4 server returned a bad sequence-id error on an unconfirmed sequence ffff88007612ae20!
>
> There are no unusual messages on the server.
>
> Rebooting the client corrects the issue in the short term, but it seems
> to re-occur after about 1 month of uptime.  This makes it difficult to
> test anything.  So right now I have left the client in the broken state
> in case there's something else I can try.
>
> The client is running Linux 4.2, with approx. 38 days uptime.  The
> server is running Linux 4.1.4, with 62 days uptime.
>
> Let me know if you need any more info.

That does sound like a pain to debug.

I don't *think* this could be explained by the problem Jeff's seqid
locking patches fixed, but maybe I'm wrong; cc'ing him to confirm.

I wonder if there's some way to make this reproduce more quickly, for
example by running something that makes more aggressive use of sqlite,
or running multiple copies of such a thing simultaneously.  Might be
interesting to know what the pattern of file opens and locking looks
like (so stracing one of those applications might help).

--b.