Re: mount default minor version behavior

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Benjamin Coddington
<bcodding@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here's a quick summary of where the threads ended up:
>
>  - Everyone agrees that if a specific minor version is specified, only
>    that version should be attempted.
>
>  - On the issue of minor version omission, the positions are:
>    1) vers=4 means try 4.1, 4.0.
>     Steve D
>     Boaz
>     Ben C

So where does the number 4.1 come from here? Is that a compile option?
That means we would need to recompile every time someone wants to bump
the version number to a new default.

>    2) vers=4 means try 4.0 only.
>     Andros
>     Anna
>     Frank
>
>    3) vers=4 means
>    - if conf file defaultvers=4.1, try 4.1, 4.0.
>    - else if defaultvers not set try 4.0 only.
>     Trond
>
> Anyone else want to weigh in? Trond's position can also count towards
> the second position because we should consider the case where the config
> file is not used or turned off in the build.  I think I could just add a
> bit to the config file that switches between 1 and 2, something like
> "usebestversion", which defaults to position 2.  That would allow a
> distro to use the first behavior if they chose.
>
> Ben
>

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, Benjamin Coddington wrote:
>
>> I will update mount.nfs so the default version is 4.1.  I have two quick
>> questions on desired behavior:
>>
>>  o  Should mounts that do not specify a minor version be upgraded to the
>> default minor version?
>>
>> For example, should 'mount -overs=4' turn into 'mount -overs4.1', if the
>> current default is 4.1?
>>

>>  o If 'yes' to the above, should mount auto-retry decrementing minor
>> versions if EPROTONOSUPPORT?
>>
>> For example, 'mount -overs=4' with a default of 4.2 would attempt: 4.2,
>> then 4.1, then 4.0.
>>
>> Ben
>> --

Trond Myklebust

Linux NFS client maintainer, PrimaryData

trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx