Re: when rpc.mountd flushes auth.unix.gid

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 09:42:14 -0500
Colin Hudler <chudler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We have a few hundred computers mounting an NFS server in a typical
> LDAP-based users (nss) setup. We frequently add and remove exports and
> use exportfs -r to update etab. Every time we do so, the clients report
> "NFS server not responding" and start backing off their requests. After
> a painful 3-5 minutes, they recover and life is normal again.
>
> We discovered that when the rpc.mountd cache flushing occurs, our NIS
> system is overwhelmed with grouplist requests and this obviously blocks
> things. We are working on that problem separately, and I admit this to
> be a weakness in our setup. My question is simple.
>
> Why does it flush auth.unix.gid when the etab changed? I think it makes
> unnecessary work for rpc.mountd because the gids are unlikely to have
> changed, and they already have a reasonable expiration policy.

Most likely because no one really cared until now.

When exports change, cache_flush() is called and that function flushes
out all of the kernel caches.

I expect that could be made to do something a bit more granular, but
you may need to do some archaeology in mountd/exportfs (and the kernel)
to ensure that you're not missing anything.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>