when rpc.mountd flushes auth.unix.gid

We have a few hundred computers mounting an NFS server in a typical LDAP-based users (nss) setup. We frequently add and remove exports and use exportfs -r to update etab. Every time we do so, the clients report "NFS server not responding" and start backing off their requests. After a painful 3-5 minutes, they recover and life is normal again.

We discovered that when the rpc.mountd cache flushing occurs, our NIS system is overwhelmed with grouplist requests and this obviously blocks things. We are working on that problem separately, and I admit this to be a weakness in our setup. My question is simple.

Why does it flush auth.unix.gid when the etab changed? I think it makes unnecessary work for rpc.mountd because the gids are unlikely to have changed, and they already have a reasonable expiration policy.

--
Colin