Re: NFSv4 with Kerberos and no_root_squash

On Wed, 28 May 2014 10:05:44 -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> Right, I'd expect that to be mapped to nobody.

Same here. But if I export a directory that is owned by nobody.nogroup, I
still can't write to it as root.

> You can set up a one-off mapping for a given machine credential in
> idmapd.conf.  (If you're using rpc.svcgssd.  ...)

I am using rpc.svcgssd, but even if I add the following to idmapd.conf on
both the server and the client (although I think it's only necessary on
the server):

  [Static]
  root/<hostname>@<realm> = root

... I still get the same result when I try to write to one of the exports
as root: Permission denied.

> ( ... If you're using gss-proxy I think there's similar
> configuration in /etc/krb5.conf.)

That would be the "auth_to_local" tag in the [Realms] section. The gss-
proxy project seems to be a RedHat effort to replace rpc.svcgssd. Perhaps
not such a bad idea. However, I'm using Debian.

Thanks,

Jaap