RE: v4.0 CB_COMPOUND authentication failures

> server credential).
> > >
> > > I do not understand this, using an IP address or a name that resolve
> > > to said IP address is the same.
> >
> > But a name can resolve to a set of IP addresses, often in round-robin
> > fashion. It would cause havoc with NFS server on a cluster if a v3
> > client had locks on 192.168.0.10 (resolved from server.mycompany.com),
> > and then rebooted, and resolved to 192.168.0.9 and sent SM_NOTIFY
> > there). At least that isn't an issue with v4...
>
> Sound you configured your DNS wrong, DNS round robin is not the right way
> to do load balancing for NFSv3.

I should add that this is not something I ever set up, just something others have set up and then asked me as a server developer to deal with. I agree that it's not the greatest setup. It may be coming from an HTTP server mindset (where that setup maybe works reasonably).

> Also if you are specifying an IP address you can as well specify an explicit
> name instead, you can achieve that by using a RR CNAME and then make
> sure the client sticks to the resolved A name for the life of the locks.
>
> For a reboot situation you are screwed anyway unless you configure an
> explicit address, in which case you do not have redundancy anyway.
> You just use a DNS name that is resolved into a unique IP address.

Yep, but getting redundancy for v3 is not trivial. It is partially solved by moving the IP address to a surviving cluster node, which has it's own pain points.

> > Or worse, tcp connection is dropped due to inactivity, and new
> > connection is made to a different server node. But this could still be
> > an issue with v4...
>
> Same as above.
>
> > The workaround has been to specify specific IP address.
>
> The workaround to what ? Why are you using RR names if client are going to
> stick to a specific server anyway ? You are working around a problem you are
> created yourself, fix the problem! (You can fix it also by setting an entry in
> /etc/hosts, it is semantically identical to specifying an IP address on the
> mount anyway).
>
> > Now I haven't done enough with krb5 recently to know how well that
> > works...
>
> > I guess I'm just offering one reason IP addresses might have been
> > specified on mount...
>
> A bogus reason :-)

But one that folks have done, and can't entirely be discounted, at least to the extent that it currently works...

Frank