Re: Patch for mapping EILSEQ into NFSERR_INVAL

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 03:48:06PM -0500, Dr Fields James Bruce wrote:
> OK, it makes sense that touching a file with a bad name would get an
> error, but you're seeing that cause later creates of files on the same
> filesystem fail.  I can't figure out why that would happen.

So maybe there's some other problem here, but...

> > >The NFS client will then happily map that straight into EINVAL for you...

This seems like a spec bug?

NFS4ERR_INVAL only makes sense if you could really mandate UTF-8 on the
wire all the time.  But I don't know what other error would work.

I guess a client could map INVAL to EILSEQ on open or lookup (is there
any other reason a correct client should ever see INVAL on those ops?).
Or do that only if fs_charset is supported and has
FSCHARSET_CAP4_ALLOWS_ONLY_UTF8 set.  Yuch.

--b.