Re: Patch for mapping EILSEQ into NFSERR_INVAL

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 10:52:50PM +0200, Antti Tönkyrä wrote:
> On 2013-12-02 22:45, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> >On Dec 2, 2013, at 15:21, Antti Tönkyrä <daedalus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>NTFS file system and some other filesystems seem to return EILSEQ when user passes badly formatted data. Current NFSv4 implementation does not map EILSEQ into any known NFSv4 error code which causes problems in some use cases. In my case I observed that if filesystem returns EILSEQ, the NFS share will begin I/O erroring until it's able to recover (If there are handles open to the files in the share, I/O errors will continue until they are closed after which the share recovers after small period of time).

So how exactly does that happen?  I'd expect an error on open or lookup
to prevent the client from ever getting a filehandle in the first place.

Looking back at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=116211 ...

OK, it makes sense that touching a file with a bad name would get an
error, but you're seeing that cause later creates of files on the same
filesystem fail.  I can't figure out why that would happen.

Could we see a network trace showing that happen?

Would also be nice to confirm whether this is reproduceable with
something other than ZFS.

--b.