Re: Linux client access to NFSv4 Alternate Data Streams (O_XATTR)?

On Dec 2, 2013, at 14:24, Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2 December 2013 17:07, Trond Myklebust
> <trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 2, 2013, at 9:27, Sebastian Feld <sebastian.n.feld@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> This isn't a Solaris-specific extension, its part of the original Sun
>>> NFSv4 spec. Unfortunately the ARC/ARchitecture Cases from
>>> Opensolaris.org are no longer available, otherwise the background,
>>> e.g. feature parity with CIFS/NTFS, and the overall usefulness of such
>>> a feature, would be clearer.
>>
>> The open(O_XATTR) _is_ a Solaris specific extension. It isn’t something that we have been planning to support on Linux.
>
> When NFS version 4 was conceived by SUN long ago it was already
> decided that Alternate Data Streams should be a mandatory core
> feature. Alternate Data Streams were officially supported in Solaris 9
> (with most kernel parts already added with Solaris 8 updates, minus
> implementations in the various file systems; a custom filesystem
> however can use ADS on S8 using the S9 includes) and NFSv4 development
> ran in parallel, together with the spec which would've introduced that
> feature as part of the next Single Unix Standard.
> The SUS spec itself was more or less "grounded" when SUN's POSIX team
> was laid off (the sad day of Fri, Jan 23, 2009) as a desperate measure
> to save money, but that didn't invalidate the valid concept or idea of
> Alternate Data Streams.
>
> What's *sad* is that there is a lot of FUD spread related to Alternate
> Data Streams, usually from the camp which wishes to promote Extended
> Attributes - which are not even closely related nor a competition -
> both serve different purposes and should be able to exist happily
> alongside each other.

Speaking of FUD. I really don’t care how you read the NFSv4 spec, and yes, I’ve read it cover to cover _many_ times; nothing there says that named attributes are mandatory to implement.

>>> There are many many applications coming from either the Windows world
>>> or the HPC camp (like nih.org or GE Healthcare) who mandatory rely on
>>> the existence of this feature (well, at least enough so that AT&T
>>> cloud services and the related toolchain (e.g. AST, including ksh93)
>>> now have extensive support for O_XATTR).
>>
>> What do they use it for?
>
> Usually to provide per-file context data, stuff like cookies (like
> Internet Explorer does), tags or per application index files. That
> doesn't mean they are small - as you can read in
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.hackers/51891 such
> files can be in the TB range (OK, that's CERN for you, but the usage
> in the nih.gov toolchain can easily hit a few dozens GB as well if the
> parent germ database file is a few hundred GB).

Why can you not just package the whole thing in a directory? You are treating that file as if it were a directory. The only difference is that you use open(XATTR) in order to access the directory rather than using a real pathname.

>> Last I heard, Microsoft was deprecating the use of streams. I’m assuming that means they plan to get rid of it.
>
> Could you please give me an URL for this? The comments we (Institute
> Pasteur) got from Microsoft and what's behind their support paywall
> indicate that they intend to extend that feature with more support in
> tools and applications. This matches the recent flurry of new
> developments from AT&T Research, CERN and others in that direction. I
> think Microsoft would be clubbed to death by their own customers if
> they try to EOF that feature...

They already threw it out of their server grade ReFS filesystem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReFS

Trond--