Re: Linux client access to NFSv4 Alternate Data Streams (O_XATTR)?

On Dec 2, 2013, at 9:27, Sebastian Feld <sebastian.n.feld@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Trond Myklebust
> <trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 2, 2013, at 7:13, Joshuah Hurst <joshhurst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> We need to access NFSv4 Alternate Data Streams (what Solaris,
>>> NexentaOS, Omnios and SmartOS can openat() with the O_XATTR flag) from
>>> a (Suse) Linux client.
>>>
>>> OS is Suse Linux 12.3, x86-64, 64bit
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to archive this?
>>
>> Why can’t you access Solaris-specific extensions from a Solaris client?
>
> This isn't a Solaris-specific extension, its part of the original Sun
> NFSv4 spec. Unfortunately the ARC/ARchitecture Cases from
> Opensolaris.org are no longer available, otherwise the background,
> e.g. feature parity with CIFS/NTFS, and the overall usefulness of such
> a feature, would be clearer.

The open(O_XATTR) _is_ a Solaris specific extension. It isn’t something that we have been planning to support on Linux.

> There are many many applications coming from either the Windows world
> or the HPC camp (like nih.org or GE Healthcare) who mandatory rely on
> the existence of this feature (well, at least enough so that AT&T
> cloud services and the related toolchain (e.g. AST, including ksh93)
> now have extensive support for O_XATTR).

What do they use it for? Last I heard, Microsoft was deprecating the use of streams. I’m assuming that means they plan to get rid of it.

Cheers
  Trond--