Re: XATTRs in NFS?

On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 11:32 -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
> Local file systems can support whatever they like, since they are
> Linux-only.
> NFS has to interoperate with other operating systems that may or may
> not support xattrs, or may have something that looks like an xattr,
> but really is subtly incompatible.
Well but that alone can apply to most other things that NFS does support
as well.
Take NFS4 ACLs,... not (fully) supported by I'd guess every Linux
filesystem (or was there some proposal for btrfs to get NFS4 ACLs in
addition?)
Or take very old filesystem who have no concept of different owners.
etc. pp.

In any case (as with Linux filesystems as well), I think XATTRs
shouldn't be enabled by default, if NFS was to support them... and if
someone activates it, he probably knows whether the backend fs does
support it or not.

> So we would like to see some very clear evidence that it's worth the
> effort.  Until then, Linux distributors are free to implement NFS
> xattr support outside the standard NFS protocol (like the Solaris
> NFSv3 ACL protocol) and support this themselves, perhaps as proof that
> "if you build it, they will come."

This always bears the danger that it will become a de facto standard
that one cannot get rid of anymore.

Cheers,
Chris.