Re: Hard to debug NFS loss of connectivity

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 06:55:08PM +0200, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
> Le Fri, 6 Sep 2013 12:07:35 -0400
> "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:
>
> > Weird.  Things look normal up through frame 14, which is a READDIRPLUS
> > reply.  Then the server resends the reply after .2s, and and the
> > client resends its call shortly thereafter (but without acking the
> > latest reply).  And then the rest of the trace is resends of the
> > reply.
> >
> > So it looks like the client stopped ACKing the server's replies?
> >
> > You may also have filtered out some TCP ACKs, which makes this harder
> > to work out.
>
> Ah yes, my bad, one TCP ACK was filtered out. Here I've kept trafic
> between the two machines but ssh.

Huh, no idea.  You can see the server retransmitting the readdir plus
reply, and still no ACKs from the client.

> Here I was capturing from the server, maybe I should try capturing on
> the client side?

Sure, maybe.

Honestly looks like a network problem, if it weren't for the failing on
the filesystem operation each time.

Hm, it may just be the first packet of a certain size.  In fact it's the
first frame > 1500 bytes in that trace.  Is there some problem with
jumbo frame configuration on your network?

--b.