Re: [nfsv4] What is NFSv4 READDIR doesn't return a filehandle....

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 09:41:40PM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Well, I don't see any difference between a mandatory attribute and a
> recommended attribute that the server claims to support via the
> supported_attributes attribute.
>
> I do believe that the server can choose not to return all of the
> mandatory and supported recommended attributes in the readdir reply.
> (If not, why have a bitmap of returned attributes?)
>
> One example here is the mounted_on_fileid, which some servers choose
> to only "support" for server mount points. (The FreeBSD server returns
> this attribute for all file handles, setting it to the same value as
> fileid for non-mount-points, but I am pretty sure some other servers
> do not return mounted_on_fileid for non-mount-points.)

That doesn't sound like traditional unix readdir behavior, and isn't the
behavior described by the spec; looking at 5661 5.8.2.23 (haven't
compared other rfcs):

	"If the server detects that there is no mounted point at the
	target file object, then the value for mounted_on_fileid that it
	returns is the same as that of the fileid attribute."

Also, the supported_attrs attribute is a filesystem-wide attribute.  I
don't think we generally allow attributes to vary between "supported"
and "unsupported" on a single filesystem.

--b.