Re: More fun with unmounting ESTALE directories.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 02:46:55PM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:

> Ok, that helps. In that case, this patch might be a reasonable
> forward-port of the one Neil sent earlier today. Note that this doesn't
> really do anything for the umount problem, but it does seem to fix the
> testcase for the problem I've been looking at.
>
> Thoughts?

If we really go for "in this case revalidate should be weaker", we might
as well introduce a separate method for it.

As it is, we have several callers of ->d_revalidate(); this one (in
complete_walk(), only for FS_REVAL_DOT filesystems) and ones in
lookup_dcache() and lookup_fast() (in both cases we have and want the
name to match).  There are only two fs with FS_REVAL_DOT present - nfs
and 9p.  *IF* we want to make ->d_revalidate() on NFS behave differently
in complete_walk() case, it would argue for just splitting the method
in two, replacing FS_REVAL_DOT with "dentry has this method" and probably
taking a good look at what 9p needs in the same case.