Re: More fun with unmounting ESTALE directories.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 01:25:09PM +1100, NeilBrown wrote:

> I would be really nice if sys_unmount used a LOOKUP_MOUNTPOINT flag that
> works a bit like LOOKUP_PARENT and LOOKUP_NOFOLLOW in that it skips the very
> last step and returns the mounted-on directory, not the mountpoint that is
> mounted there - or at least makes sure not revalidate happens on that final
> mounted directory.

I don't think LOOKUP_MOUNTPOINT is a good idea.  For one thing, we have
fairly few places that might want it, all of them in core VFS.  Might as
well provide a separate function for them, a-la path_lookupat() vs.
path_openat().

For another, we need to decide what to do with a really nasty corner case:
	a/b is a mountpoint, with c/d bound on it.
	c/d is a symlink to c/e
	c/e is a mountpoint
What should umount("a/b", 0) do?  There are two possibilities - removing
vfsmount on top of a/b or one on top of c/e...

We have the latter semantics; _that_ is what this GETATTR is about.  It's
a fairly obscure corner case - the question is not even whether to follow
symlinks, it's whether to follow _mounts_ on the last component.  Hell
knows; I'm seriously tempted to change it "don't follow mounts" and see if
anyone complains.  The only case when behaviour would change would be
a symlink mounted somewhere (note that this is _not_ something that can easily
happen; e.g. mount --bind does follow symlinks) and umount(2) given the
path resolving to the mountpoint of that symlink.

> I think FS_REVAL_DOT is needed so that if you call stat("."), it will update
> attributes from the server if the cache is old.  However it seems to do a
> whole lot more than that, including "lookup" calls which it I'm sure is wrong.

Far from only that.  FS_REVAL_DOT is a misnomer - it's not just ".".  Take
a look at the places where LOOKUP_JUMPED is set; _that_ is what drives the
damn thing.  Essentially, LOOKUP_JUMPED is "we hadn't arrived here by
lookup in parent"; "." (or "/") obviously qualify, but so does following
a procfs-style symlink, or .., for that matter.  "foo/.", OTOH, does *not*.

It matters only in the end of the pathname, of course.  So we don't need to do
revalidate every time we step on e.g. .. or cross a mountpoint (let alone
when we step on .), as long as we make sure that revalidate isn't missing in
the end of path.