Re: Possible to make nfs aware of a inotify watch has been set.

On Thu, 2012-11-29 at 17:11 +0000, Myklebust, Trond wrote:
> The idea that "if we build a bridge, they will come to us" is what
> gave
> rise to dnotify, then inotify (nobody came, so let's build a bigger
> bridge) and fsnotify (make it a toll bridge). Nobody is using those
> interfaces much on local filesystems, so why is adding it to NFS and
> CIFS going to be such a game changer?

Sorry Trond,
but this is simply not true.

inotify is a key feature at least in some packages I know, and makes
some things *a lot* easier.

Of course this are less visible features, that are easy to overlook, but
they are not unused for sure.

(dnotify on the other hand was underused because it was almost useless)

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer <simo@xxxxxxxxx>