RE: return layout on error, BUG/deadlock

That is not a bug. It is an intentional change in order to allow the MDS to fence off the outstanding writes (if it can do so) before we retransmit them as write-through-MDS. Otherwise, you risk races between the outstanding writes-to-DS and the new writes-through-MDS.

See the changelog in the patch that I sent to the list yesterday.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer

NetApp