Re: where can I ask user qns about nfs4?

On 02/10/2012 08:14 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 08:13:16PM +0100, steve wrote:
On 02/10/2012 07:40 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 09:19:38AM +0100, steve wrote:
I'm happy to provide more details of the domain joining process
offlist or summarise in another
email if there is interest.

I'm surprised by the lack of documentation available on using
Kerberised NFS with AD. I would have thought that it would be a
fairly common configuration?
Hi
This stuff really does need documenting. I've put together a rough
guide of most of the common misunderstandings here:
http://linuxcostablanca.blogspot.com/2012/02/nfsv4-myths-and-legends.html
Could you get some of this material into the linux-nfs wiki?

The NFS w/ AD stuff, for example, would probably be worth a page of its
own and a top-level link under "Documentation" (and the link to Mike
Eisler's blog entry could be moved to the page, if it still looks like
it's current).

--b.
Unfortunately, I am unable to write technical English in the style
that is required by the wiki.
Just say it however it makes sense to you, ping me, and I can do any
wordsmithing if it seems necessary.

--b.

I am however happy for the link to be
placed there. As there is no user nfs mailing list I'm also happy
for folk to sign up to the article and use _it_ as a mailing list.
OK. I've requested a login. Linux has never been too good with documentation. At nfs level, unless you are capable of reading the code, you are stuck with misinformation. What I feel is that admins are stuck in the middle. It's a dilemma. You don't want to want to have to burden the devs with what to them is trivia. As admin, you have your own trivia: 'I saved it in My Documents but now only Sharon can open it'. You also need to be able to move forward without guessing: 'What's the official syntax for /etc/exports with krb5'. Your users get their answers. From you. Where are we expected to get our answers from!
Cheers,
Steve