Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] end-to-end data and metadata corruption detection

On 01/26/2012 03:53 PM, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
"Bernd" == Bernd Schubert<bernd.schubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:

Bernd>  We from the Fraunhofer FhGFS team would like to also see the T10
Bernd>  DIF/DIX API exposed to user space, so that we could make use of
Bernd>  it for our FhGFS file system.  And I think this feature is not
Bernd>  only useful for file systems, but in general, scientific
Bernd>  applications, databases, etc also would benefit from insurance of
Bernd>  data integrity.

I'm attending a SNIA meeting today to discuss a (cross-OS) data
integrity aware API. We'll see what comes out of that.

With the Linux hat on I'm still mainly interested in pursuing the
sys_dio interface Joel and I proposed last year. We have good experience
with that I/O model and it suits applications that want to interact with
the protection information well. libaio is also on my list.

But obviously any help and input is appreciated...

I guess you are referring to the interface described here

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mm/msg14512.html

Hmm, direct IO would mean we could not use the page cache. As we are using it, that would not really suit us. libaio then might be another option then.

What kind of help do you exactly need?

Thanks,
Bernd