Question about direct IO in pnfs

These days, I’m studying pnfs’ functionalities.

It seems that the pnfs code does not support direct I/O.

Actually, in direct IO mode, the generic_file_aio_read() is not called.

Is there a plan to support direct IO in pnfs?

And in nfs_file_direct_read() comment,

what’s meaning of the sentence(in order to avoid gfar’s check ~ end of file)?

/**
 * nfs_file_direct_read - file direct read operation for NFS files
 * @iocb: target I/O control block
 * @iov: vector of user buffers into which to read data
 * @nr_segs: size of iov vector
 * @pos: byte offset in file where reading starts
 *
 * We use this function for direct reads instead of calling
 * generic_file_aio_read() in order to avoid gfar's check to see if
 * the request starts before the end of the file. For that check
 * to work, we must generate a GETATTR before each direct read, and
 * even then there is a window between the GETATTR and the subsequent
 * READ where the file size could change. Our preference is simply
 * to do all reads the application wants, and the server will take
 * care of managing the end of file boundary.
 *
 * This function also eliminates unnecessarily updating the file's
 * atime locally, as the NFS server sets the file's atime, and this
 * client must read the updated atime from the server back into its
 * cache.
 */

SOO-YOUNG KIM
Senior Member of Engineering Staff
Storage System Research Team
Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute

138 Gajeong-no, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 305-700 KOREA
Phone : 82-42-860-1682 Fax : 82-42-860-6699
Mobile : 82-10-9696-3032 E-mail : sykim@xxxxxxxxxx
ETRI Homepage : www.etri.re.kr