Re: Updated files desync and become unlinked

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:57:57AM -0500, Todd Freeman wrote:
> Good day all...
>
> This may (very likely) be me just misunderstanding a "feature" of
> NFS...  but I have a VERY odd behaviour pattern.
>
> We update a set of perl modules on an NFS client (svn update to grab
> new files) we then ssh to another client and restart our apache
> server there and go along our merry way.
> We noticed that the apache server would fairly consistently have an
> old version of the file running and continue running with it until a
> new child started and reread the file (minutes later).

Restarting the apache server should mean apache re-opens the module,
which should be enough for NFS's close-to-open semantics.

If you're exporting ext3 on the server, it could be a time-resolution
problem (ext3 has 1-second resolution timestamps), though I wouldn't
expect that problem to reproduce so quickly.

If you're using NFSv4, it could be a delegation bug; run

	echo 0 >/proc/sys/fs/leases-enable

and restart the nfs server to turn them off.

--b.