Re: nfs-utils and libnfsidmap

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:54:06PM +0100, Tigran Mkrtchyan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> today was tracing a bug in nfs-utils/libnfsidmap and after a log
> debugging located it and
> finally realized that it's already fixed by Steve Dickson (
> http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=steved/nfs-utils.git;a=commit;h=d22ef3f525d71b565fcc688557273a6cabeeb71a
> ). Nevertheless during
> this procedure it turned out that there is quite some code duplicated
> between nfs-utils and
> libnfsidmap.
>
> Questions:
>    a) why nfs-utils duplicates some part of libnfsidmap and still depends o it
>    b) is there readon for code duplication? Licensing or so
>    c) what ww need to do to get rid of duplication
>
> I expect the answer of 'c' will contain something like time and man power.
> I am volunteering to to pend some time on it.

I doubt there's any real reason for duplication.

Probably libnfsidmap should be part of nfs-utils, actually.

And maybe we don't need it at all--the original reason to split out
libnfsidmap was to share the code with libacl, so the posix getfacl
command could do v4->posix acl mapping, but those patches never made it
upstream.

--b.