RE: NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID loop

linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID loop
>
> * Myklebust, Trond (Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > BAD_STATEID is a different matter, and is one that we should have
> > resolved in the NFS client in the upstream kernel. At least on newer
> > clients, we should be trying to reopen the file and re-establish all
> > locks when we get a BAD_STATEID. Can you please remind us which
kernel
> > you are using?
>
> Ah, i see.  This was all on 3.0.0 and 3.0.4 (a quick check didn't
reveal any
> relevant changes between the two).
>
> Are there any stable patches that can be applied to 3.0.y?
>
> > That said... Even on new clients, the recovery attempt may fail due
> > the STALE_CLIENTID bug. That will still hit us when we call OPEN in
> > order to get a new stateid.
>
> The interval between retries on that was ~1-1.5ms, could this be made
> slower? -- same questions as before really.

Given that things such as reboot recovery are subject to a recovery
window (grace period), I'm, again, very reluctant to add an artificial
backoff as that may have consequences for behaviour in the bug-free
case.

If the server wants us to back off, it can say so itself by using the
NFS4ERR_DELAY error mechanism.

Cheers
  Trond