Re: nfsd (and lock) changes for 3.2

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 08:19:24AM -0400, bfields wrote:
> 	- Progress on the basic 4.1 todo's.  Thanks in particular to Mi
> 	  Jinlong for (among other things) implementing the somewhat
> 	  tricky DRC limit checking.
>
> 	  The 4.1 code is getting closer--it *might* be possible to
> 	  finish basic 4.1 early as 3.3, at which point we could start
> 	  on optional features (like pNFS).  But that will depend on
> 	  people sending patches (and pynfs tests) for the remaining 4.1
> 	  todo's.

I've been keeping the todo list up to date here:

	http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Server_4.0_and_4.1_issues

Some of them I think are relatively straightforward--probably anyone
with a little time could dive into them:

	- SEQ4_STATUS_RECALLABLE_STATE_REVOKED

	- backchannel attribute negotiation

	- ACL retention bits

	- Clarify RDMA non-support

Slightly trickier or open-ended; we may need to talk over design first
before diving in:

	- Make DESTROY_SESSION wait on in-progress requests

	- current stateid

	- Check 4.0/4.1 interactions

	- Callback failure handling

	- GSS

The GSS piece is probably the one I'm most worried about.  What we have
seems sufficient for current clients, but I know it's incomplete, and
I'm not entirely clear how much work it is to implement the minimum
required to ensure that future kerberos-using clients won't break
unexpectedly on upgrade to 4.1.

--b.