Trailing '/' on path names in /etc/fstab confused mount.

If I have:

  host:/path /mountpoint nfs defaults 0 0

in /etc/fstab, mount then "mount /mountpoint" the entry that
appears in /proc/mounts is

  host:/path/ /mountpoint nfs .....

Note the extra '/'.

This confused mount.  If I run

   mount -a -t nfs,nfs4 -f -v -n -i

(as I might in a script to check if all NFS mountpoints are actually mounted),
it thinks that /mountpoint is not correctly mounted.  If I edit /etc/fstab
to put the '/' in, 'mount' is not confused any more and reports correctly.

So:
  Why do we get the trailing '/'?  Is it really needed or is it a bug?

  If it is really needed I suspect we need to teach 'mount' to ignore such
  things....  but is it guaranteed that requesting "/path/" from the server
  is exactly the same as requesting "/path" ???  It certainly is for NFSv4
  and any v3 server that handled the two differently could certainly be
  considered to be odd, but is it definitely wrong?

Thought?

Thanks,
NeilBrown